Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A Simple Way to Keep Cats out of the Garden

I planted my very first flower bed on Friday. My tiny masterpiece features a fledgling ghost fern, a lamium purple dragon, and georgia peach coral bells. I painstakingly mixed the existing dirt with rich, organic planting soil. I carefully de-potted the plants and shook out the roots before tucking them into their new home. Then, I spread mulch around and stood back to admire my work. I should have taken a picture, because the garden would not be so pristine for long.

Friday night, one of the neighborhood cats decided my flower bed would make a great litter box and nearly dug up my fern. I consider myself a cat person, but I am not going to tolerate poop in my plants.

Even after living with cats for 11 years, I still had no idea how to deter them from digging in the dirt. I discovered from a couple of different sources that cats are repulsed by the smell of citrus - specifically, orange peels. A natural skeptic, I did not really believe such a simple solution would work, but I thought I'd give it a try. After all, the other suggestions were either toxic (mothballs, which are considered a carcinogen) or ridiculous (sitting in wait with a garden hose).

On Sunday, I cut up one orange's worth of peel into tiny pieces so as to spread it as far as possible. (I am not a fan of oranges, so I didn't want to eat a whole bunch of them.) I sprinkled the peel all around my garden, which is probably 1' x 5'. It is now Wednesday, and I am happy to report that the neighborhood strays have not ventured back into my flowers! Sometimes the simplest - and least toxic - option really does do the best job.

2 comments:

Eric said...

I think you should invent a mouse-trap type thing that sticks orange peels to their heads instead of squishing them ;)

Unknown said...

If you want to keep bunnies and other creatures (I think Deer as well) out of your garden, take human hair (from your hairbrush!) and spread it around the perimeter. They also are not crazy about urine, so this is a great time to start Alice on her potty-training!

About Me

My photo
Odenton, Maryland, United States